Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Boys Are Back (2009)

Nicholas McAnulty and Clive Owen
To prove that we are a couple of sensitive guys in touch with our feelings, we watched The Boys Are Back starring Clive Owen. It is rated PG-13 for some dirty/foul language "thematic elements", which is loosely interpreted as emotions created and aimed toward grown-ups instead of children.

Mark -
This is a difficult review for me to write simply because the best way that I can describe my feelings for the movie would be indifferent. I can’t think of any other movie I’ve seen where I simply felt that the movie was neither good or bad, but that it simply just is.

The film tells the story of successful sports writer who suddenly finds himself looking for answers after the loss of his second wife to cancer. The main character Joe (Clive Owen) decides the best approach to his own life and the role of raising his six year old son, Artie, is simply to answer yes. Joe’s life becomes even more complicated as it shows his relationship with his older son, Harry, from his first marriage. The film goes on to portray the difficulties of a father and his sons in dealing with different types of losses, and learning to move forward with each others help.

For me the most compelling character of this film was Harry. Although he has the smallest role of "the boys", his character is the one that adds some depth and perception into the struggles that exists between all of their lives. It is very clear that Joe cares about his sons, but he is so lost inside of himself that it feels as if he isn’t genuinely interacting with the other characters at times. Artie is six, and thus a six year old does what a six year old does.

For those who enjoy happy ending, you will enjoy this movie. I didn’t have any real expectations for this film, but if you are going to have any, they shouldn’t be more than to simply expect a feel good film. 2 ½ out of 5 *’s.

My Random Thought For The Boys Are Back: The more I think about it, I’m convinced that Artie must have been a hellion even when his mother was alive, and that his behavior was not limited to Joe’s parenting alone.

Dan -
Here is another movie that you probably missed, let alone may not have even heard of, until now. I was optimistic going into this because I enjoy a good drama that tugs at the old heartstrings from time to time. This movie made me think about getting choked up at least twice. I don't think I actually cried, but maybe one of my eyes welled up. But don't tell Mark. I was discreet and any possibility of a tear was shed out of the corner of my eye farthest from my co-critic. After all, I do have some credibility to uphold around him (however little it may be).

I knew what this movie was about going into it (widower tries to raise children on his own), and wasn't sure how much I would like it. A little background on myself seems appropriate here. My own mother passed away from cancer when I was a young teenager, so I know what it's like to lose a parent and how confusing and frustrating it is trying to deal with and understand the emotions that go with that. I am also now the father of two boys, so seeing this solidified even further that I never want to be in a situation even remotely like that. So please, dear wife of mine, don't ever die on me! I count on you too much to fill in the (large) gaps I leave in our lives. Anyway, this movie seemed to hit a little closer to home now than when I first heard about it almost 2 years ago.

This becomes difficult to write because I kind of agree with Mark. This movie just is. There was no real plot to it. It is one of those "slice of life" movies where it shows people living their lives. Unfortunately these people are not very interesting. Sure, there are a couple of interesting events to try and mix things up, but overall nothing happens. The most compelling element of the movie was Clive Owen's relationship with his older son. His uneasiness of trying to make sense of a new situation brought back memories of my own childhood. Don't worry, I'm not getting all mushy and personal again. I only want to say that I felt like I could identify with him and some of the emotions he experienced.

The more I think about this movie, the more I don't like it as much as I did right after watching it. This was another of those movies where I may have liked it more had I watched it in one sitting. Taking breaks really tore me away from any emotion that was slowly building as the movie went on. I had to get back in the mindset each time I sat down to watch it (this one took 3 lunch breaks).

To its credit, and probably my favorite thing about this movie, were the conversations Joe has with his late wife. He imagines seeing her from time to time and talks with her. I likened it to seeing something that reminds me of a loved one that is lost. And then perhaps talking briefly with that person about what is going through my head. Just small moments that make sure you never truly forget that person.

I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars. It probably would have received a higher rating had I watched it in one sitting, but then it wouldn't have appeared on this blog as a lunch movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment