Friday, June 17, 2011

Wayne's World 2 (1993)

Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers, Tia Carrere, and Christopher Walken
So here's the sequel that probably no one needed, but was made anyway: Wayne's World 2. It's rated PG-13 for "ribald humor". Whatever that means. After watching it, there was a bunch of sexual innuendo and some bad language observed.

Dan -
Was this sequel unnecessary? Yes. Does the entire movie basically parody/steal ideas from other movies? Yes. Did it make me laugh out loud more than the original? Yes. After watching both of them, I realize that I may have been confusing some parts of the original and the sequel with each other. Please disregard the comment on the first movie that I made about yelling "Schwing!" to every hot girl that walks by.

The plot is simple: Wayne tries to put on a concert to prove he can do something with his life. Meanwhile Cassandra is now on the verge of selling out to and marrying her manager Christopher Walken (I know!). Ok, ok, it's a super lame plot borrowing not least from Field of Dreams, The Graduate, The Postman Always Rings Twice, and An Officer and a Gentleman just to name a few. But the best part has got to be Kim Basinger's role as Honey Hornee (and it's pronounced 'Hor-Nay' you pervs). I think what makes most of the silly comedy so funny is that with the exception of Wayne and Garth, everyone plays the jokes straight. Especially Christopher Walken and Kim Basinger. Her seduction of Garth to get him to kill her husband is probably the funniest sequence in the movie.

This movie, even more so than the first one, is one you watch for nostalgic purposes with a group of friends to get a laugh, preferably after watching the first one so, or if, you're still in the mood for the type of comedy. May I also add that it's good to see Chris Farley again. I miss him. Not that I ever knew him personally, but he is a hilarious dude. I can guarantee that "Tommy Boy" will be a future review on this site. He made a memorable character out of someone that could have easily been forgotten among the other metal-heads following Wayne and Garth throughout the movie: "I'm gonna go pick a fight!"

I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars because it made me laugh more than it should have.

Mark -
Sadly this movie is another example of why sequels very rarely work. The original was fun and had some memorable moments, but it was hardly successful to the point of warranting a sequel. My main criticism of this movie is its lack of originality. There are few and far between moments of new material, but the majority of this film involves mocking/mimicking of other films, or simply recycling material from the first movie with an ever so slight change. I have to admit that the only memorable thing that has stuck with me about this movie, from the first time I saw it, is that Kenny G will always be referred to as dentist music. I appreciate the realization of the writers that Dana Carvey’s character Garth needed a larger role than in the original movie, but it seems as though they diminished his original character by trying to make him assume too much of the role of Wayne, and not enough of the role of Garth. If I want to watch Wayne’s World I’ll simply stick with the first movie, and not give a second thought to the sequel. *1/2 stars out of 5.
My Random Though For Wayne’s World 2: Perhaps my favorite part of this movie is that in the credits it indicates that neither Kenny G’s name or music is used with his consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment